Pages

Wednesday, 2 March 2016

SPONGE CAKE 101


SPONGE CAKE 101

WALT: write an effective recount of an experience.

IMG_1477.JPG

You would not believe what I did in cooking on Friday!  It all started when
turned up to school and I saw Whaea Meri and Peri setting up the tables for cooking. “Yay” I grabbed my four eggs out gently and then took them into room 1.  Moments later the bell rang. All I could see were all of the seniors running towards room 1.

Next, Whaea Meri told us what the rules were and what we had to do.Then we got sent off in our groups and we started making our sponge cake.

First we had to do all the simple instructions. We had to wash our hands before we touched anything or done anything. I grabbed one of the eggs and then cracked it with the back of the knife. My hands were shaking like a saw blade. The egg cracked and then the yolk and the white from out of the egg fell into the bowl “hurry up and take it out Tisha! You were the one who made it fall.”  Yup you guessed it, I broke the number one rule of sponge cake making.  When separating the yolk from the whites - don’t let any yolk get into the egg whites.  So what did I go and do…...
“Ok” I mumbled.

I went to get a spoon and I took out the yolk and put it into the jug. It was slowly slipping into the jug.”Whaea Meri is our one ready?” we were so happy and excited at the same time.

Time was flying because we were having too much fun and enjoying making our sponge cake.  I started walking around the class and checking how far everybody else was.  It felt like we were having a race. Well, that’s what I thought.

We were just about to put our last ingredient in till Arama ran over and said “how far are yous?”
“Farer than yous” I smirked.  I was laughing in my mind because there was some people who will just sit on there nono’s and stare at the ceiling like the ceiling was going to do all the mixing and cooking.
“Two minutes left” yelled Whaea Meri. It was go time. Everybody quickly whisked the mixture, folded in the dry ingredients, lined the cake tin and tipped the sponge mixture into the tin. Once we put it into the oven, we had to wait and hope it turned out good.


We had finally finished.  Clean up was a breeze. Our sponge cake was nice and fluffy but when you really look at it, it was lopsided. Anyways, I was the first to bite it. It was semi fluffy, not too dry, definitely burnt on the bottom.  If I learnt anything it would be to never drop the egg yolk into your egg whites when you’re separating them and always remember to FOLD the dry mix into the rest of the ingredients.  Do not under any circumstances whisk or electrically beat it in.  If you do…..you’re fired and not in my cooking team.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.